Saving before your cruise means you'll have extra spending money when you're on holiday. Here is a simple budget recipe to feed the whole family. It's easy to prepare when you're tired after a day of work and dreaming of that cruise holiday!
You can extend the beef by adding tinned tomatoes, which gives the dish a rich flavour and means you can use as little or as much mince as you have on hand. For extra sweetness (and to sneak vegetables into the meal for any anti-veg children), add some carrots and peas to the beef mixture.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cans of diced tomatoes
5 large potatoes diced
1. Lightly cook the chopped onion in a pan with olive oil until translucent. Add mince and cook until brown.
2. While the mince is cooking, boil then mash potatoes. (Add 2 tablespoons of butter if you prefer a creamy mash.)
3. Add tomatoes to mince mixture and simmer on low heat.
4. Season both mince and potatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Pour mince mixture into a shallow pan or baking dish. Top with mash and cover with grated cheese. Place in a preheated hot oven and cook until golden on top.
For more low-cost ideas, why not check out our budget recipe for frittata?